Chicken Ginger Stew with Vegetables (Filipino Tinola)
This chicken stew is very easy to make, and it’s great for the cold weather. The summer squash, Chayote Squash, can be cooked and eaten raw. It has very low calorie count as 1 cup only has 100 calories. The Chayote Squash is also a good source of Vitamin C along with other several vitamins. Most of all, its insoluble fiber can help promote good digestion.
The stew is a very popular Filipino dish as it is very easy to make and very delicious.
1 lb of lean Chicken, in chunks
2 Chayote squash, quartered
1 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil
1/4 cup of ginger, julienned
1 cup of onion, julienned
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
6 cups of Chicken stock
2 cups of chili leaves
2-3 tbsp of fish sauce, more to taste
sea salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil or coconut oil in a large pot over medium high
- Add the onions and cook until translucent
- Add the garlic and cook until golden brown
- Add the ginger and cook for about 30-45 seconds
- Add the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes. You don’t have to cook the chicken all the way through, only until it’s coated with the oil
- Add the chicken stock and bring to boil
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Add the Chayote squash and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sea salt or more fish sauce to taste
- Turn off the heat and add the chili leaves and let it cook for 2-3 minutes, or until leaves are wilted
- Serve while it’s hot and enjoy!